Democrats keep pulling from the same old playbook. They accuse President Trump of something atrocious, then move the goalposts when the allegations turn out to be false. The media also continues to botch crucial facts, resulting in real-world consequences.
Democrats’ latest actions are deeply irresponsible, but come as no surprise. Over the past week, many Democrats signed onto the newest impeachment effort based upon unconfirmed and secondhand media reports.
Specifically, many Democrats claimed that President Trump must be impeached because he allegedly entered into a quid pro quo arrangement with Ukrainian President Zelensky over investigations into Vice President Biden’s activities in Ukraine.
The whistleblower complaint that kicked off the Democrats’ newest rush to impeachment centered around a phone call between President Trump and Ukrainian President Zelensky. The Trump administration declassified and released the full transcript of the phone call.
The transcript was clear. There was no quid pro quo as Democrats claimed.
However, Democrats haven’t walked back their claims. In fact, they’ve doubled down on their calls to impeach, simply moving the goalposts from “quid pro quo” to supposed coverups and other conspiracy theories.
Media’s Misleading Headlines
Fact: Despite the Washington Post’s reporting, President Trump did not make any promises to Ukrainian President Zelensky. The media’s false headlines led dozens of new Democrats to call for President Trump’s impeachment.
Democrats’ False Accusations
FACT: Nowhere in the transcript did President Trump threaten to withhold aid to Ukraine if Vice President Biden’s activities were not investigated.
- Rep. Adam Schiff on Twitter: “Democracy does not mean that you can use military aid as leverage over another country to secure help in an election. In fact, it is the very negation of democracy. Oversight, accountability, protections for whistleblowers— This is the stuff of democracy.”
- Reps. Gil Cisneros, Jason Crow, Chrissy Houlahan, Elaine Luria, Mikie Sherrill, Elissa Slotkin, and Abigail Spanberger in the Washington Post: “The president of the United States may have used his position to pressure a foreign country into investigating a political opponent, and he sought to use U.S. taxpayer dollars as leverage to do it. He allegedly sought to use the very security assistance dollarsappropriated by Congress to create stability in the world, to help root out corruption and to protect our national security interests, for his own personal gain.”
- Rep. Elissa Slotkin on NPR: “For all seven of us, the idea that a sitting president would use security assistance from the United States to pressure and potentially extort the president of another country into giving him dirt on a political opponent is just beyond the pale. I think these actions are getting worse and worse and when we don’t hold [him] accountable they will only continue to get worse. And I don’t think we have the luxury of November 2020 — especially when we are seeing that he is using the awesome powers of the United States government to potentially extort foreign countries into investigating his political enemies. I mean this is unprecedented.”
- Senator Dick Durbin on Twitter: “His admission that he solicited negative info from the Pres. of Ukraine concerning his potential opponent, Joe Biden, while withholding $250M in US security aid for Ukraine is beneath the dignity of any President & by any reasonable legal standard merits an impeachment inquiry.”
- Rep. Daniel Lipinski on Twitter: “No president can withhold foreign assistance in order to force a country to investigate someone because they are a political opponent. If @POTUS conducted a quid pro quo such as this, it would be an impeachable offense. The #whistleblower complaint deserves a full investigation.”
Bottom line: These are the same bad actors who lied to the American people about collusion and obstruction of justice during the Mueller investigation. Democrats’ hatred of President Trump blinds them to the facts of the case, and they cannot be trusted to tell the truth as they continue to pursue their impeachment-at-all-costs strategy.