WASHINGTON, D.C.—Earlier this month, House Republican Whip Steve Scalise (R-La.) joined 168 of his House colleagues urging President Trump to veto any appropriations bill that weakens current pro-life protections. Today, President Donald Trump sent a letter to Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) promising he would use his veto power to protect life and prevent taxpayer funding for abortions.
Whip Scalise released the following statement applauding President Trump’s commitment to life:
“Innocent life must be defended at every stage and I applaud President Trump for his firm message to Speaker Pelosi, reaffirming his unwavering commitment to life by promising to veto legislation that promotes abortion or weakens current pro-life laws. In the past two years, with our Republican majority, we worked closely with President Trump to advance policies that protect the lives of the unborn and prevent any taxpayer dollars from being used to fund or facilitate abortions. I am proud to see President Trump continue to stand with us in this effort by his pledge today and I look forward to continuing our work protecting innocent lives.”
In the 116th Congress, Whip Scalise is an original cosponsor on several pro-life bills including,
- H.R. 369, the Defund Planned Parenthood Act
- H.R. 296, To amend title X of the Public Health Service Act to prohibit family planning grants from being awarded to any entity that performs abortions, and for other purposes.
- H.R. 20, No Taxpayer Funding for Abortion Act
Introduction is pending for the below legislation:
- Protecting Life and Taxpayers Act of 2019
- Pain-Capable Unborn Child Protection Act
- Conscience Protection Act