The Recovery Report is a weekly newsletter about America’s response to the coronavirus pandemic from Select Subcommittee on the Coronavirus Crisis (SSOCC) Republicans.
Coronavirus Facts of the Week:
- Coronavirus cases in the United States overall are declining. Daily average cases dropped by 21% from the beginning of August to 43,000 new cases daily in late-August.
- The number of patients currently hospitalized with COVID-19 has fallen 35% from the peak on July 24.
- Health officials, including Dr. Birx and Dr. Fauci, say there is no reason Americans can’t vote in person if proper health protocols are followed.
Coronavirus Quotes of the Week:
“It has been safe for me to go to Starbucks and pick up my order. If I can go into Starbucks, wait in my line, and socially distance, then I can’t say that it would be different waiting in line at the polls.” – Dr. Deborah Birx
“We’re developing a growing number of treatments, including convalescent plasma that are saving lives all across the country. Last week, Joe Biden said, ‘no miracle is coming.’ What Joe doesn’t seem to understand is that America is a nation of miracles and we’re on track to have the world’s first safe, effective coronavirus vaccine by the end of this year.” – Vice President Mike Pence
“In recent months, our nation, and the entire planet, has been struck by a new and powerful invisible enemy. Like those brave Americans before us, we are meeting this challenge. We are delivering lifesaving therapies, and will produce a vaccine BEFORE the end of the year, or maybe even sooner! We will defeat THE VIRUS, end the pandemic, and emerge stronger than ever before.” – President Donald J. Trump
Bogus Narrative of the Week:
Speaker Pelosi continues to smear health officials for their action to help deliver COVID-19 treatments to the American people. This time she targeted the recent announcement about the emergency use authorization for convalescent plasma and called FDA Commissioner Hahn “a prop for the president to pretend that something was happening.” She went on to say, “It’s really sad, because science, science, science, for so many reasons, is the answer to so much.”
Why it’s false:
- The FDA’s emergency use of authorization for convalescent plasma follows its “extensive review of the science and data generated over the past several months stemming from efforts to facilitate emergency access to convalescent plasma for patients as clinical trials to definitively demonstrate safety and efficacy remain ongoing.”
- “We at FDA do not permit politics to enter into our scientific decisions. This happens to be a political season but FDA will remain data driven.” – FDA Commission Steven Hahn, 8/24.
- The Wall Street Editorial Board notes there is “ample evidence that convalescent plasma may be effective and that the potential benefits outweigh the risks. This is the FDA standard for EUAs, and the agency was right to increase patient access to the potentially life-saving therapy.”
- The Editorial Board goes on to say that “convalescent plasma has been used since the late 19th century to treat infectious diseases… the idea is to help sick patients mount a stronger immune response by infusing them with plasma containing antibodies from recovered patients.”
- Why are Democrats so opposed to providing Americans with access to a variety of possible treatments to prevent COVD-19 fatalities?
- Republicans worked tirelessly until a federal right to try law was enacted, providing critically ill patients with access to experimental drugs that may save their life.
- From Right to Try, Operation Warp Speed, to emergency use authorizations for promising treatments like convalescent plasma and cutting-edge rapid testing, Republicans will continue to press forward to deliver results to save lives and cure diseases.
On Tuesday, September 1 at 1:00p, Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin will testify before the Select Subcommittee on the Coronavirus Crisis on the Administration’s response to rebuild our economy.
Trump Administration’s Actions:
Department of Justice Requesting Data from Governors of States that Issued COVID-19 Orders that May Have Resulted in Deaths of Elderly Nursing Home Residents: The Justice Department requested COVID-19 data from the governors of states that issued orders which may have resulted in the deaths of thousands of elderly nursing home residents. New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and Michigan required nursing homes to admit COVID-19 patients to their vulnerable populations, often without adequate testing.
President Trump Is Taking Strong Action to Further Protect Nursing Homes from the Coronavirus: President Trump announced additional steps to keep our Nation’s nursing home residents safe from the scourge of the virus. The Trump Administration is requiring nursing homes to test their staff on a regular basis and is taking action to ensure they have the training and resources they need to safeguard the health of their residents.
FDA Issues Emergency Use Authorization for Convalescent Plasma as Potential Promising COVID–19 Treatment, Another Achievement in Administration’s Fight Against Pandemic: The FDA issued an emergency use authorization for investigational convalescent plasma for the treatment of COVID-19 in hospitalized patients as part of the agency’s ongoing efforts to fight COVID-19. Based on scientific evidence available, this product may be effective in treating COVID-19.
Trump Administration Will Deploy 150 Million Rapid Tests in 2020: The Trump Administration awarded a contract for $760 million to Abbott for delivery of 150 million rapid, Abbott BinaxNOW COVID-19 Ag Card diagnostic tests to expand strategic, evidence-based testing in the United States. Testing will be potentially deployed to schools and to assist with serving other special needs populations. Abbott recently received emergency use authorization from the Food and Drug Administration for a test that will deliver COVID-19 test results in 15 minutes or less.
- Here’s why new cases of the coronavirus are down across most of the U.S.(CNBC)
- Despite overall US coronavirus cases declining, experts are warning that middle America is seeing spikes in cases as colleges reopen (Business Insider)
- Justice Dept. requests nursing home covid-19 data from four Democratic governors (Washington Post)
- Trump administration to require nursing homes test staff for COVID-19 (The Hill)
- Trump says he is authorizing another $1 billion for food for families program(Reuters)
- What You Need to Know About ‘Promising’ Convalescent Plasma and COVID-19(Daily Signal)
- New Thinking on Covid Lockdowns: They’re Overly Blunt and Costly (Wall Street Journal)
- Flint man who recovered from COVID-19 donates plasma and finds out he saved lives. (Mid-Michigan Now/Fox66)
- CDC guidelines now say those exposed to coronavirus may not need testing if asymptomatic (Nexstar)
- ‘Nation of miracles’: Pence pledges coronavirus vaccine by year’s end (Politico)
- Trump to announce $750M deal for 150M Abbott rapid coronavirus tests(Washington Examiner)
- Fauci confident virus vaccine will get to Americans in 2021 (Associated Press)
- Meadows ‘optimistic that we’ll have a vaccine by the fall,’ says US will not accept Russian trial (Fox News)
- Abbott Shares Surge on FDA Clearing 15-Minute, $5 Covid Test (Bloomberg)
- Moderna Says Covid-19 Vaccine Shows Signs of Working in Older Adults (Wall Street Journal)
- Companies Rush to Shore Up Covid-19 Testing Ahead of Flu Season (WSJ)
- Dr. Birx: If it’s safe to go into Starbucks in Mississippi, it’s safe to wait in line at the polls (WMC 5)
- New Research Suggests In-Person Voting May Be Less Risky Than Previously Thought (NPR)
- Why Does the Coronavirus Hit Men Harder? A New Clue (New York Times)
- Tracking Coronavirus Cases at U.S. Colleges and Universities (New York Times)
- Cuomo Gets a Nursing Home Inspection (WSJ Editorial Board)
- The FDA’s Good Plasma Decision (WSJ Editorial Board)
- Remember the Trump Economy? His pre-Covid-19 record gives him a clear edge over Obama-Biden. (WSJ Editorial Board)
- Gov. Asa Hutchinson: To fight coronavirus wear a mask — new survey shows most Americans agree (Fox News)
- Tucker Carlson accuses Dems of using ‘fear of the coronavirus’ to boost their election prospects (Fox News)
- Why pooled testing for COVID-19 may help America’s schools to open safely (USA Today)
- Michael Gerson: It puts everyone in danger if rich countries hoard a vaccine(Washington Post)
- We could ‘beat’ COVID-19 before a vaccine is ready (New York Post)
- Ivanka Trump: The Farmers to Families Food Box Program boosts economy (The Fayetteville Observer)
Republican Whip and SSOCC Ranking Member Steve Scalise (R-La.) applauds DOJ for taking action to hold Democratic governors accountable for their ‘must admit’ orders.