The Recovery Report is a weekly newsletter about America’s response to the coronavirus pandemic from Select Subcommittee on the Coronavirus Crisis (SSOCC) Republicans.
Coronavirus Facts of the Week:
- We continue to see strong progress in the fight against coronavirus with the 7-day average in new cases down 37% since its peak in July. Under President Trump’s leadership, we’ve built the largest testing system from scratch with over 90 million tests completed so far.
- The U.S. economy gained nearly 1.4 million jobs in August, making it the fourth month in a row of over 1 million jobs added. In August, 249,000 retail, 174,000 leisure and hospitality, and 45,000 manufacturing and constructions jobs were added. A record 10.6 million jobs have been gained since April, bringing back about 50% of the jobs lost from the lockdowns.
- Prior to this good news for American workers, Treasury Secretary Mnuchin testifiedjust days before that the Paycheck Protection Program contributed to adding nine million jobs in just three months. He also affirmed that unemployment would be lower if Democratic governors reopened their states and allowed people to get back to work.
Coronavirus Quote of the Week:
“Two briefings ago I asked: ‘Where is Nancy Pelosi?’ Today, I can announce: We have found Nancy Pelosi. As you can see, we found Nancy Pelosi going into her hair salon. Nancy Pelosi was not in the halls of Congress when I asked where she was. She was not working in good faith to make a deal for the American people. Nancy Pelosi was found in San Francisco, at a hair salon, where she was indoors, even though salons in California are only open for outdoor service. Apparently, the rules do not apply to Speaker Nancy Pelosi. She wants small businesses to stay shut down but only reopen for her convenience. ‘Do as I say, not as I do,’ says Nancy Pelosi. Nancy Pelosi is holding up $1.3 trillion in relief for the American people, while getting special access to the very kind of small businesses that this money would support, businesses like this hair salon.”– White House Press Secretary Kayleigh McEnany
Bogus Narrative of the Week:
Democrats created another phony scandal last week and issued a press release claiming they unearthed hidden reports that the White House allegedly kept secret about states’ coronavirus data, when in fact the data was publicly available all along.
Why it’s false:
- Data on cases, positivity rates, hospitalizations, and deaths are widely available and have never been hidden from the American people nor from state and local governments.
- Democrats’ latest press release is easily debunked with a simple search online – even the Washington Post reported on state data in June.
- At no point in the Democrats’ latest fake news do they acknowledge that cases continue to decline, testing continues to increase, therapies continue to improve, and vaccine trials are proceeding at a historic pace.
- President Trump is leading the national coronavirus response and is empowering state and local officials to take the actions needed to best protect the lives of those residing within their borders.
- Democrats should work with Republicans on real solutions to bring relief to Americans and their families during the COVID-19 public health emergency rather than playing politics during the pandemic.
On September 1 SSOCC Republicans released a new report “Resounding Success: A Review of the Paycheck Protection Program.” The report concludes that the Trump Administration’s swift action enabled the PPP to support more than 51 million jobs across the country, especially helping rural and minority communities. The Small Business Administration (SBA) and our nation’s banks worked tirelessly to provide over $342 billion in loans in 14 days. Behind the scenes, SBA and Treasury worked together to quickly get funds to more than 84 percent of the country’s small businesses, with minimal fraud.
On September 9, the SSOCC will hold a hearing to examine voting in the upcoming election amid the coronavirus. Reminder: Dr. Deborah Birx said that voting in person is as safe as going to Starbucks to pick up an order and Dr. Anthony Fauci stated that there is no reason Americans cannot vote in person if proper health protocols are followed. If Nancy Pelosi can go to a salon to get a blow-out without a mask (and illegally since California has prevented salons from offering indoor services at this time), people can vote in person this fall.
Trump Administration’s Actions:
Trump Administration Announces $2 Billion Provider Relief Fund Nursing Home Incentive Payment Plans (9/3): The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) announced the details of a $2 billion Provider Relief Fund performance-based incentive payment distribution to nursing homes. This distribution is the latest update in the previously announced $5 billion in planned support to nursing homes grappling with the impact of COVID-19.
- Payrolls increase by nearly 1.4 million as the unemployment rate tumbles (CNBC)
- PPP supported more than 51 million jobs amid coronavirus: House Republicans(Fox Business)
- Trump administration announces nationwide eviction moratorium through end of the year (USA Today)
- Mnuchin: Trump wants more COVID-19 relief aid (The Hill)
- AstraZeneca Starts U.S. Final-Stage Trial of Covid-19 Vaccine (Bloomberg)
- Overwhelmingly strong results could end COVID-19 vaccine trials early, Fauci says(Los Angeles Times)
- Sanofi and GSK move Covid-19 vaccine into human trials (Stat)
- U.S. to send millions of rapid COVID-19 tests to states to support school reopening, other tasks (Reuters)
- Pelosi used shuttered San Francisco hair salon for blow-out, owner calls it ‘slap in the face’ (Fox News)
- Key to Preventing Covid-19 Indoors: Ventilation (WSJ)
- The Opioid Crisis, Already Serious, Has Intensified During Coronavirus Pandemic(WSJ)
- White House to Target Hospitals for Uneven Covid-19 Data Reporting (WSJ)
- How we’re developing a COVID-19 vaccine at ‘Warp Speed’: Alex Azar (USA Today)
- Ignore the misinformation: The FDA will ensure the safety of any COVID-19 vaccine (Reps. Walden, Burgess, Guthrie, The Hill)
- Restore our lives using medical science, data and common sense (Dr. Atlas, The Hill)
- A Virus Progress Report (WSJ Editorial Board)
- The Failed Experiment of Covid Lockdowns (Luskin, WSJ)
- The Case Against Covid Tests for the Young and Healthy (WSJ)
Republican Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Ca.) released a new video on Operation Warp Speed.