TOPLINE: As Democrats gear up for another political witch hunt, Republicans are determined to keep the Select Subcommittee on the Coronavirus Crisis focused on addressing China’s cover-up, combatting the virus, and reopening our economy.
Over 70,000 Americans have died. Over 30 million Americans have lost their jobs. Millions of small businesses are on the brink. Local hospitals are overwhelmed with coronavirus patients and experiencing a crippling loss of revenue from the cancellation of elective surgeries. Education from the highest to the lowest levels has been disrupted.
Democrats want to use the Select Subcommittee on the Coronavirus Crisis to pin this global pandemic on President Trump. We cannot let that blatant partisanship and cynicism happen. As Ranking Member, Whip Scalise will prioritize three main areas of concern:
- Holding the Chinese government accountable for hiding the truth from the world and allowing this deadly, destructive disease to spread.
- Helping ensure the success of the largest relief effort in American history.
- Providing clear and immediate guidance on how to safely reopen our economy
“This is a cover-up by the Chinese Communist Party, which has now led to one of the worst pandemics we’ve ever seen. The World Health Organization did not protect the world from this pandemic, and I consider them to be co-conspirators with the Chinese Communist Party.” — Rep. Michael McCaul, Republican Leader, House Foreign Affairs Committee
Chinese Communist Party (CCP) leaders took aggressive steps to hide information about coronavirus from the world. The Chinese government owes the American people more than an apology. The Subcommittee on the Coronavirus Crisis must determine the facts on the origin of the virus and the Chinese government’s subsequent cover-up. Recommendations should be made to reduce the influence of bad actors globally and prevent another pandemic.
The subcommittee can build upon steps Republican leaders have already taken to address Chinese influence in the United States and abroad:
- House Republican Leader Kevin McCarthy announced the formation of the China Task Force to help reinforce Congressional efforts to counter current and emerging cross-jurisdictional threats from China.
- Seven Republican Ranking Members led a letter to Education Secretary Betsy DeVos pushing for transparency into Chinese funding and political influence in higher education in the United States.
- House Foreign Affairs Republican Leader Michael McCaul has strongly called for investigations into CCP actions and Chinese influence in the World Health Organization.
- House Committee on Oversight and Reform Ranking Member Jim Jordan led the Ranking Members of the Oversight Committee subcommittees in urging Oversight Democrats to hold hearings on the “Communist Party of China (CCP) and its widely criticized response to the ongoing COVID-19 crisis.”
Republicans on the House Foreign Affairs Committee also assembled the following timeline of the Chinese Communist Party’s cover-up of the coronavirus crisis dating back to October, 2019:
Click here or on the image above to view the timeline.
The Trump Administration has led the way on the largest relief effort in American history. While Democrats will no doubt try to tear down these efforts and paint them as corporate handouts, the facts show that we stood by American small businesses and saved millions of jobs. Our work can make these programs more successful over the long run.
- Over 85 million Americans will receive a direct payment of up to $1,200 to provide emergency relief and stimulate demand in the economy.
- Even as hospitals deal with thousands of coronavirus patients, the health care economy has suffered as a result of canceled elective surgeries. Recognizing the importance of keeping hospitals on their feet, the Trump Administration has provided significant relief to hospitals. The CARES Act also accelerated the long-overdue tele-health revolution, as millions of Americans consult with doctors from the safety and comfort of their homes.
The Paycheck Protection Program (PPP)
- More than four million loans have been made to small businesses, totaling over $520 billion in relief funds.
- The PPP will stand as a success story in years to come, accomplished through joint efforts by Congress to secure funding and the Trump Administration, which marshaled incredible resources and talent within the administration to create this vital lending program on short notice.
Testing, Research, and PPE
- 7.5 million tests for COVID-19 have been performed in the United States.
- According to The COVID Tracking Project, we are now performing around 250,000 tests per day in the United States—and the number is growing.
- Energy and Commerce Republicans reported that “As of May 4, FEMA, HHS, and the private sector combined have coordinated the delivery of or are currently shipping: 66.8 million N95 respirators, 115.4 million surgical masks, seven and a half million face shields, 18.7 million surgical gowns, 946.6 million gloves, 10,663 ventilators, and 8,450 federal medical station beds. Since April 12, 40 flights carrying more than 35 million FEMA-procured masks and respirators from 3M have landed in the U.S. The masks are inventoried at a warehouse and then distributed to prioritized areas as determined by FEMA and HHS. FEMA, HHS, and other federal agencies are distributing cloth face coverings for critical infrastructure workers. As of May 4, over 73.8 million cloth face coverings are being processed and distributed to state, local, tribal, private sector, and federal entities.”
- With the support of the Trump Administration, 72 clinical trials for potential therapies for COVID-19 are underway with FDA oversight.
- According to the Milken Institute, which has a COVID-19 Treatment and Vaccine Tracker, there are over 150 treatments for COVID-19 in preclinical or clinical trials.
REOPENING OUR ECONOMY
The American people do not want endless relief measures – they want an economic recovery.
American workers and families want to see our plan to safely reopen the country and rebuild our great economy. Under President Trump’s leadership, our work on the subcommittee can help show people how we can use safer and smarter approaches to reopen our country and our economy.
Everyone from small business owners, heads of major hospitals, doctors, CEOs, and sports executives have great and specific ideas for how to get their industries reopened in a safe and smart way. With these commonsense measures and a united effort, we can get back to our new normal. We must show America how it can be done.
BOTTOM LINE: This virus attacked our nation. We can use the Subcommittee on the Coronavirus Crisis to fight back or we can use it to pin blame on our domestic political opponents. Republicans will focus on practical solutions to reopen our economy and prevent another pandemic. Democrats should join us.